The Counseling Department at Archbishop Murphy High School plays an integral role in the school's mission to inspire and develop Christian leaders with the spiritual, intellectual, social and emotional foundation to attain educational and career goals. The department strives to:
- achieve personal satisfaction
- contribute meaningfully to their community and the lives of others.
Each counselor works with students in grades 9 through 12, assigned by last name, to provide guidance services and college/career counseling. Guidance services include:
- personal counseling
- academic scheduling and support
- credit tracking
- standardized testing.
College and career services include: assistance with college selection and application, career exploration, and scholarship search.
Counselors work with students both individually and in groups. In addition, counselors facilitate academic staffing with students, parents and teachers as well as college informational meetings for parents.
The Senior Book is a packet the counseling department created for all seniors and their families. The book provides information on the following topics:
- Important dates for seniors
- Academic preparation/graduation requirements.
- Standardized testing for college (SAT/ACT)
- College research and selection process
- AMHS senior profile
- College application process
- College bound student-athletes
- Military academies/ROTC
- Financial aid/scholarships (FAFSA & CSS Profile)
- Senior AMHS Family Connection checklist
- Making your college campus visit count
- Talking with college admissions representatives
- The Common Application basics