WHEN A STUDENT IS ABSENT
The following general procedure should be followed when a student is absent:
- The parent is to call (425-379-6363) or
between 7:05am and 8:20am. If a parent does not call, phone calls will be made to the home telephone number first and then the parent's work number if a student is absent.
- Upon returning to school, prior to first period, the student is to present to the Student Services staff a signed and dated note from the parent stating the dates and reason for the absence. (Please be aware that a note must be submitted excusing the absence within 24 hours of a student's return to school. If a note is not submitted within this time frame, the student may not be allowed to schedule the make up of missed tests, quizzes or submit missed assignments resulting from the absence.)
- The note should be used by the Student Services staff to determine the type of absence.
APPOINTMENTS DURING SCHOOL HOURS
All appointments should be made outside of school hours whenever possible. If an appointment must be kept during the school day, the following procedure should be followed:
- Before school, the student is to present a note to the Student Services staff from the parent requesting dismissal from school for the stated reason and the appointment time.
- The student is to sign out at Student Services when leaving for the appointment. He/She is to sign back in, if he/she returns for classes later in the day.
- Students should be especially careful that appointments do not occur during the same class period over the course of the year.
- Students failing to sign out prior to leaving campus will be considered truant. The absence will be listed as "unexcused" and the appropriate disciplinary consequences will apply.
ILLNESS DURING SCHOOL HOURS
Students who become ill during the school day should report to Student Services. If a student is too ill to remain in class, he/she must go to Student Services to call parents for permission to leave campus. If the student must go home, the parent will inform the Student Services staff and they will release the student. Students who do not check out properly will be subject to disciplinary action.
AMHS TARDY POLICY in a NUTSHELL
- Tardies may only be excused if a doctor’s note is presented.
- Each student will be allowed 3 unexcused first period tardies without consequence.
- Unexcused first period tardy 4, 5, and 6 will result in 30 minutes of detention.
- Unexcused first period tardy 7, 8, and 9 will result in 60 minutes of detention
- Unexcused first period tardy 10 will result in weekend detention and a conference with parents/guardians regarding the behavior.
- Tardy count is on a per quarter basis.
If you have a concern or question regarding the policy, please contact
For additional information regarding attendance policies and definitions, please see our Student Handbook.