Mock Trial is an academic competition where students combine speech/debate, drama, legal, and quick thinking skills into a trial format. AMHS Mock Trial students compete against other high schools after writing their own case and acting out attorney and witness roles in front of real-life attorneys and judges. These attorneys and judges score the teams in the basis of legal, presentation, and acting skills. The top teams in Washington compete at the State Mock Trial Championships with the winner moving in to the National High School Mock Trial Championship. Established in 2005, the AMHS Mock Trial team has finished in the top - 10 at State a total of 7 times, capturing 2nd place in 2014.
Mock Trial Spaghetti Feed
The AMHS Mock Trial team will be having a Spaghetti Feed on February 8, 2020. All proceeds from the event support the AMHS Mock Trial Team. Early bird ticket pricing ends on Monday, January 13th!
Middle School Mock Trial Competition
The event was hosted by the AMHS Mock Trial team. AMHS Mock Trial head coach Roger Brodniak and Snohomish County Deputy Prosecutor Kathy Webber presided over 2 trials. A panel of community lawyers and AMHS Mock Trial coaches served as a "jury" of scorers. The panel praised the advocacy, preparation, and civility of both teams.
Runner-Up Best Witness: Gabe Feliciano (SMM)
Runner-Up Best Attorneys: Anjelica Deleon (SMM), AhLana Ames (IC-OLPH) and Paetyon Dooner (IC-OLPH)
AMHS MOCK TRIAL (founded in 2005)
- 7 District Championships (2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, 2019)
- 6 Top-6 Rankings at State Meet (5th in 2007, 6th in 2008, 6th in 2010, 3rd in 2011, 3rd in 2013, 2nd in 2014, 4th in 2017)
- State Runner-Up in 2014, appeared in championship trial on government cable channel TVW in May, 2014
- Competed at the American Mock Trial Invitational, North Carolina (2008)
- Competed at the Empire Mock Trial Invitational in San Francisco (2016)
- Received YMCA Values Award for Respect, Courtesy, and Professionalism (2011, 2013, 2015)
- The Honorable Robert J. Bryan American Inn of Court Scholarship winners: Annie Dang (2012), Claudia Morales (2014)
- Mock Trial Alumni competing in College Mock Trial: Jessica Elekes--Gonzaga, Amy Purdy—Notre Dame, Jake Dini—Gonzaga, Hillary Longoria—Gonzaga, Chris Damitio—UW
- 2015: JV 7th at State, Varsity 8th at State. YMCA Values Award winners.
- 2016: Varsity 3rd at State, JV 18th at State. Zane Carlton 2016 Inns of Court Scholarship Winner. Jessica Elekes graduates from Seattle University School of Law. Jake Dini ('11) enrolled at University of Washington School of Law.
Roger Brodniak received his B.A. from Pacific Lutheran University and then earned his J.D. from University of Washington. Roger served as an attorney in Everett before coming to Archbishop Murphy in 2000. He was drawn to AMHS to coach football with his high school coach and mentor, Terry Ennis. Roger became a full time teacher in 2002 and now chairs the Social Studies Department. Roger founded and coaches the very successful AMHS Mock Trial Team. In his free time, Roger enjoys hiking, Washington Huskies football, and spending time with his wife Kristyn and young son, Andy.
Danielle Gadek and Caleb Ellis